Location:23-24 Old Steine, Brighton, BN1 1EL.
Description:Grade 2 listed conservation - Consisting of 11 residential flats.
Client:Thurst & Fritz ltd.
Landivar Architects were commissioned to deliver the sensitive conversion of two Grade 2 Listed adjoining office buildings to form 11 self contained flats at the Old Steine, Brighton. Located in the heart of Brighton and just around the corner from the Palace Pier, the Grade 2 Listed bow fronted Regency properties had been unsympathetically altered over many years and the project involved careful historic restoration and renovation, along with contemporary interventions to create modern living environments.
The site is located within the Old Steine district, a central thoroughfare that runs north to south and terminates at the Palace pier. The site is set to the east of the original fishing village of Brighthelmstone and was developed within late Georgian and Regency period as part of the fashionable interest with the seaside town of the time.
The arrival of fashionable society in the latter eighteenth century brought considerable change to the Steine as it was the one area which could provide a flat, sheltered promenade for visitors. In 1776 the turf itself was improved and wooden railings were erected to enclose the grassland and to form the public gardens.
The development site is within the curtilage of 23-24 Old Steine, a grade 2 Listed structure 23-24 Old Steine was originally constructed in the early 19th century as a grand family home and subsequently converted into offices with a ground floor shop frontage in the early 20th century.
Photography by Emma Marshall. https://emmamarshall.net/